Looking to Get into Real Estate?

Here’s What You Need to Know

To become a licensed real estate salesperson in Hawaii, you must:

  1. Complete 60 hours of an approved pre-license course and pass its final examination (or hold a license in another state, a law degree, or an undergraduate business or real estate degree)
  2. Pass the Hawaii real estate salesperson license examination.
  3. Apply for your license within two years of passing the salesperson license examination.
  4. To be licensed on active status, you must be associated with a current and active Hawaii licensed real estate firm or sole proprietor.

Approximate costs to get licensed:

  • DCCA Licensing Fee
    -$382.00 (Odd Numbered Year)
    -$282.00 (Even Numbered Year)
  • NAR/HAR/HBR Annual Membership Fees plus Initial Application Fees
    - $885.00 (Prorated based on when you join)
  • MLS Initial Membership Fees
    -$490.00 (Prorated based on when you join)
  • Approximate Total First Year Cost
    - $2039.00

Not Sure about Something?
Check Out These Frequently Asked Questions.


Q: I am licensed in another state. Does that satisfy the prelicensing education requirement equivalency?
A: If your current license was active within exactly one year of applying for your license in Hawaii, and if the state you are currently licensed in has similar or more rigorous prelicensing education requirements, then yes, it qualifies.

Q: How do I validate my prelicensing education requirement equivalency?
A: You must apply for a Prelicensing Education Equivalency Certificate from the Commission. The application can be found here.

Q: Once I fulfill my pre-licensing education requirement, how long do I have to take the license examination?
A: School Completion Certificates and Prelicensing Education Equivalency Certificates are valid for two years from the date of issuance.

Q: Do I ever have to renew my real estate license?
A: Yes. By the end of every even-numbered year, licensees must complete 20 hours of approved continuing education courses and submit a renewal application. More information can be found here.